Information regarding the Environment Agency's data and your statutory rights.
This website is operated by the Environment Agency. In these terms and conditions 'we, our, us', refers to the Environment Agency.
Acceptance of Terms
We (The Environment Agency) have complete discretion to modify or remove any part of this site without warning or liability arising from such action. We also reserve the right to change any part of these terms without notice and your use of the website will be deemed as acceptance of such changes. You should regularly check these terms.
Permitted Use of Content from this Website
All information and other materials (Content) on the website are owned by the Environment Agency unless we say otherwise. You may view the website and if you want to make use of any Content other than excluded content (see licence below) you do not need to contact us but must agree that any use other than viewing will amount to acceptance of the terms of the licence below. Additional terms apply to use of some services and features of the site, including but not limited to the following:
- Interactive services such as “What’s in Your Backyard”
- Material owned by third parties
These additional conditions will be displayed with the relevant Content.
We do not promise that the Content supplied to you will always be: accurate, free from viruses and other malicious or damaging code (if electronic), complete or up to date or that the Content will provide any particular facilities or functions or be suitable for any particular purpose. You must ensure that the Content meets your needs and are entirely responsible for the consequences of using it. Please also note any specific information warning or guidance on the website.
Please also note any specific information warning given to you about information on a particular page.
Standard Licence Terms (NB additional conditions might apply)
This licence does not apply to excluded content, namely any logo, registered design, live feed data, downloadable datasets or anything else that we expressly exclude from this licence and to use these you must seek separate permission from us.
The Content is protected by intellectual property rights and whilst you have certain statutory rights which include the right to read the Content, you are granted no additional use rights whatsoever unless you agree to the licence set out below.
“Commercial” use is not permitted except for approved media use.
We grant you a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, nonexclusive licence to use any Content that is not ‘excluded’ for any use that is not “Commercial” subject to the terms and conditions below and also subject to any additional terms we include with specific Content.
Subject to the above, you are free to:
- copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Content
- adapt the Content
You must (where you do any of the above):
- acknowledge the source of the Content by including the following attribution statement: “Contains Environment Agency information © Environment Agency and database right”
- ensure that you do not use the Content in a way that suggests any official status or that we endorse you or your use of the Information
- ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the Information or its source or use the Information in a way that is detrimental to the environment, including the risk of reduced future enhancement
- ensure that your use of the Content does not breach the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003
- ensure that you do not reverse engineer, decompile etc. any code, data or content on the website so as to recreate a full dataset or other content.
These are important conditions and if you fail to comply with them the rights granted to you under this licence, or any similar licence granted by us will end automatically.
The Information is licensed ‘as is’ and we exclude all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities in relation to the Information to the maximum extent permitted by law. We are not liable for any errors or omissions in the Information and shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damage of any kind caused by its use. We do not guarantee the continued supply of the Information.
This licence is governed by the laws of England and Wales.
“Commercial” means where:
- any person or organisation is offering a product or service containing the Content, or any adaptation of it, for a charge, or
- an organisation that is primarily engaged in trade, commerce or a profession is offering a product or service based on or using the Content for direct or indirect commercial advantage.